Blockchain for Business: An Introduction to Hyperledger Technologies
Discover the power of business blockchains and distributed ledger technologies with an overview of Hyperledger and introductions to its key frameworks. All over the global market there are ledgers that organisations and individuals alike must trust. Blockchain technologies record promises, trades, transactions or simply items we never want to disappear, allowing everyone in an ecosystem to keep a copy of the common system of record.
This introductory course is carefully curated for both nontechnical and technical audiences. It examines blockchains for the enterprise and a number of pertinent use cases from Hyperledger, a global cross-industry community of communities hosted by The Linux Foundation and advancing business blockchain technologies. Hyperledger is incubating and promoting enterprise grade, open source business blockchain software, on top of which anyone can set up apps to meet cross-industry needs.
The course covers key features of blockchain technologies and the differentiators between various types of Hyperledger projects. We'll start with ‘what is blockchain’ and open the discussion to identifying suitable blockchain use cases for your business requirements. We will then take a deep dive into the enterprise-ready Hyperledger blockchain frameworks by guiding students through implementation of various blockchains.
Students with a technical background will learn how to perform clean installations of Hyperledger Sawtooth and Hyperledger Fabric, as well as develop simple applications on top of these frameworks.
Students with a business background will gain an understanding of how blockchains work and how they can create value for their business through cost-savings and efficiencies, in terms of speed and simplicity. They will view how information is generated, stored, and shared in various blockchains, as well as gain tools to evaluate whether or not a blockchain solution would be suitable for their particular business case.
Industries today are using blockchain technologies to increase efficiency and solve business problems associated with data privacy, security, information sharing, and inclusion. Be on the cutting edge; learn about these innovative technologies and bring unique value to your business.
This course is part of The Linux Foundation's Blockchain for Business Professional Certificate, offered through the edX® platform.
The Blockchain for Business Professional Certificate programme from The Linux Foundation includes the following courses:
Blockchain: Understanding Its Uses and Implications
Understand exactly what a blockchain is, its impact and potential for change around the world, and analyse use cases in technology, business, and enterprise products and institutions.
View the course
Blockchain for Business - An Introduction to Hyperledger Technologies
A primer to blockchain and distributed ledger technologies. Learn how to start building blockchain applications with Hyperledger frameworks.
View the course
- LFS170x - Blockchain: Understanding Its Uses and Implications
- Basic understanding of technology and computer terminology, networking, and databases
- Comfortable with terminal and command line
- Basic understanding of programming languages (Go, Node.js, Java, Python)
edX® is a registered trademark of edX® Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Start date25 October 2018
Programme duration8 weeks
Estimated effort3 to 4 hours per week
- Describe Business Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies
- Gain familiarity with current Hyperledger projects and cross-industry use cases
- Perform clean installations of the Hyperledger Sawtooth and Hyperledger Fabric frameworks
- Explore a sample use case/application in the context of the Hyperledger Sawtooth and Hyperledger Fabric frameworks
- Build simple applications on top of Hyperledger Sawtooth and Hyperledger Fabric
- Become involved in and contribute to the open source Hyperledger projects
- Welcome & Introduction
- Discovering Blockchain Technologies
- Introduction to Hyperledger
- The Promise of Business Blockchain Technologies
- Technical Requirements
- Introduction to Hyperledger Iroha
- Introduction to Hyperledger Sawtooth
- Introduction to Hyperledger Fabric
- What's Next?
- Final Exam